Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Lower Level

Today, I drove that section of west texas that everyone talked about; the endless, vegetation-less flat part. It was not anything like the I-10 drive that occurred west of San Antonio. That’s alright though, cause the end destination was worth it. I made it to Carlsbad Caverns and had a nice time. The caverns are really cool, and I paid an extra $20 and got the “lower level” tour which involved ropes and ladders. I was glad I got there when I did cause they sort of shut down the caverns around 4 pm. 

When I left Ozona this morning, I took the main drive out of town. It was pretty cool. I didn’t know this when I arrived during the night, but my motel was down the street from the town square. They had a really neat looking city hall, Crocket museum, and a main street with an old time drug store. 

I am currently in El Paso, staying at a red roof inn. Its amazing driving in to El Paso from Carlsbad cause even though it’s a straight shot, there is nothing on the road.  And I mean nothing. Then I got into El Paso, and came around to the hotel district, which sits above I-10 on a hill, and as far as the eye can see its just lights from houses. It’s just interesting to go from nothingness to endless sea of houses. 

I am going to look forward to actually staying put for a few days when I get to Las Vegas. Next is Phoenix though. I will spend a couple days there, after which I’ll hit up the Grand Canyon, followed by sin city. 

I want to give credit to George H. W and George W before signing off on my blog for the evening. I would think it difficult for anyone who lives in West Texas to get elected governor much less President. I didnt make it up to Crawford to see the Ranch, but there is not a whole lot going on in West Texas. 

Now that i am sort of on the subject of west texas, I do want to make one observation. Some one please explain how it makes any sense to try to grow anything in the desert. I mean its dry and sandy and windy. Going across, i saw them watering vast fields that are literally in the desert. I mean this isn't the 1880's. How anyone can think its a good idea to that when water is so scare out here. Texas would easily rival California for population if it actually had water.  

Also, the whole W-Texas landscape seems to be litered with those small oil drills. Not that huge ones, but more like the 15 foot ones. I mean just thousands of them, and it looks like most of them stopped working years ago. I also saw something that was pretty cool. When i came up to this ridge line on I-10, there must have been 100's of big wind turbines. Pretty neat.

1 comment:

  1. Carlsbad sounded very cool! A great way to break up the long drive, I'm sure. Just a few things:

    1. Watch out for state troopers on the (relatively short) drive from El Paso to Phoenix. They like to hang out in the medians, so be advised.

    2. The Suns and the Mavericks play tomorrow at 8:30 pm. The downtown area really comes alive when there is a sporting event. Even if you don't want to go to the game, you should check out the scene. Lots of cool hangouts down there.

    3. Scottsdale Mall- eat a meal here each day you are in town, walk around the mall, and enjoy the eye candy.

    4. Tempe is a cool place, make sure you check it out. Lots of people your age or younger there. I would be a senior citizen there.

    Have fun man!

    ReplyDelete