Thursday, February 17, 2011

ASU Student for the next two days. (2-17-11)


It turns out the cheapest hotel of the trip so far gave me the best nights sleep. The red roof inn and its $42.95 a night rate was perfect. No noise, just sleep.  There was even a gentleman’s club right next door, but I stayed away.  I had the opportunity to meet up with my grandfather and my step-grandmother the next morning for breakfast.  They have lived in El Paso for over 40 years and I only see them about once a decade. 

The trip in to the Phoenix area was a nice little drive once I got out of SE New Mexico. Most of it remainder was very scenic, including coming across the valley and seeing Mt. Graham rise up over 10,000 feet.  I drove through the Town of Duncan, est. in 1883, which time has apparently forgotten. In addition, I got to drive through a portion of the Tonto National forest, which was interesting. 

I feel like I scored a good room and rate. I am staying at the Best Western in Tempe, just about a mile from the ASU campus. You guys know what a new state and new school means- no restraining orders. jk  I spent the last hour or so walking all around the campus. It reminded me of being at UF, but something funny occurred. I realized I had no desire to ever go back to college. I use to believe well into my upper 20’s that I would love to be a career student. No such desire anymore. Been there did that- twice. But that wont stop me from pretending to be an ASU student for the next two days.

Tomorrow I shall try to pick out some fun things to do in the Scottsdale area. The mall is a straight shot 7 blocks north. On the good suggestion from a devoted reader, I shall have to drop by. I think I’ll wait till Saturday to visit downtown Phoenix.  

2 comments:

  1. You made it! :) Enjoy the Valley of the Sun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for not posting yesterday. I spent most of the night crying and rocking myself in the corner trying to deal with your lack of update. Until the husband told me to get a grip. And guess what? Not only did I get a grip, I retaliated. By writing about MY road trip on my blog. My road trip? Yes, MY road trip. To Nowhere. It's just as awesome as your road trip, but with less jerky and fewer beavers.

    Okay, so maybe it's not quite as awesome. But that's not the point. The point is, don't ever miss a day again.

    ReplyDelete