Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Day 2. (no attempt at a clever headline) 2-15-11

I am in Ozona, Texas, which is where they probably filmed No Country for Old Men, or got the real life story of it. The TraveLodge is a little sight for sore eyes, but I have the entire wing to myself. That is a good thing, cause I hardly slept at all the previous night due to extremely poor sound proofing. I swear I could hear every footstep, door shut, and conversation that went on. And that was even with a noise maker on. 

Several things about Texas:
  1. The next time some one tells me that Houston doesn’t have any zoning laws (as if that were a good thing), I am going to tell them to go live there.  Other than the Downtown area, the rest of it sucks.
  2. Didn’t make it into the heart of San Antonio, just drove around it. I would like to go back sometime and check out downtown and check out Austin just a few miles north. It does look like a pretty cool city.
  3. I enjoyed driving through West Texas. I loved the scenery, openness, empty highway, and most importantly the 80 mph speed limit. I was able to go 88 most of the way.
  4. Didn’t like all the road kill I saw during that stretch.
Tomorrow I would like to get to Carlsbad Caverns National Park just inside the New Mexico Border.  I have heard nothing but good things about it. 

As a side note, don’t ever speed through Western Louisiana. I counted no less than 25 cop cars on I-10 over a 90 mile stretch. I even got to see a police chase.

For those who drive I-95 north through South Carolina, you know of “South of the Border”. I am not exactly sure what it is, but it has like 40 billboards leading up to it. Well in Texas, its Bucc-ees Beaver. No you perverted minds, it’s a glorified Convenience store. Well, I was tempted with all the billboards, and also because I didn’t really know what it was, I stopped there.  If you want 30 types of jerky, then this is the place for you.  

5 comments:

  1. First of all: you didn't like all the roadkill? Honestly, George, where's your sense of adventure. I recommend filling a cooler with ice and packing up some o that kill. If you start running short on money, at least you'll still be able to eat.

    Secondly, I DO like 30 types of jerky, and I expect you to bring me back a sample of all 30 types. Kthxbai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and here are some clever headlines:

    Day Two: The One With all the Road Kill

    Day Two: 30 Types of Jerky

    Day Two: Bucc-ees Beaver: It's Not What You Think

    How long do you think it'll take before you start blocking my comments?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make sure you stop in El Paso or Las Cruces for some Mexican food--world class stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the suggested headlines Kelley. I wish i wasnt so tired and came up with those myself. Mike, I just got back from one of those authentic mexican dinners. It was a little awkward when i asked about the chips and salsa and the waiter just blanked at me. But at least he understood english because i dont think the hostess did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it doesn't get any more "authentic" than that :) Keep up the blogging, really enjoying the trip with you so far.

    ReplyDelete